Eliot SOREL MD is an innovative global health leader, educator, health systems performance expert, and a practicing physician. He co -chairs the Metrics Group of the Healthy Brains Global (HBG) and is a cofounder of the Africa Global Mental Health Institute. Doctor Sorel has served as a subject matter expert on World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. National Institute of Health,(NIH), Fogarty International Center, U.S. National Institute of Mental Health, (NIMH), World Bank Group (WBG), the Inter -American Development Bank (IADB), and the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development (OECD) projects.
- At the George Washington University, in Washington, DC, Dr. Sorel is the lead physician teaching Global Mental Health in the Milken Institute School of Public Health. He is Clinical Professor of Global Health, Health Policy & Management and of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences.
- Dr. Sorel works collaboratively with primary care and public health colleagues. The innovative, TOTAL Health model, a primary care, mental health & public health integrated/collaborative template was initiated by Dr. Sorel as a means of enhancing quality, access, and sustainability of care. In June 2018, he was the President of the 1st International Perinatal TOTAL Health Congress. Dr. Sorel is the lead author of “Healthcare, Inclusive of Mental Healthcare, Is a Human Right”. It is now American Psychiatric Association policy since December, 2017. He co-chaired the scientific committee of the Social Determinants of Health/Mental Health & Access to Care World Congress, October 2019, www.wasp2019bucharest.org.
- He initiated and led the clinical public health research project on Depression & Comorbidity in Primary Care in China, India, Iran, Romania published in the International Medical Journal and shared at the World Bank Group/WHO Innovators’ Fair in Washington, DC in April 2016.
- Dr. Sorel coauthored the APA position statement on Integrated Care of 2016 and the WPA Bucharest Statement on Integrated Care & Collaborative Care of 2015. 21st Century Global Mental Health is the one of seven books published by Dr. Sorel. His most recent publications are, Covid-19: A National and Global Social Contracts Stress Test (in press), and The Social Brain: Wired to Connect and Belong, in http://www.worldsocpsychiatry.org. He was a subject matter expert to the OECD’s Making Mental Health Count project accessible at www.oecd.org .
- Amici Curiae Brief of Public Health Experts, the American Public Health Association, and the American Academy of Nursing, California, et al., v Texas, No. 19-840 and No. 19-1019 (United States Supreme Court, May 2020), co-signatory.
- Amici Curiae Brief of Public Health Deans, Chairs, and Faculty, and the American Public Health Association, King, et al., v. Burwell, No. 14-114 (United States Supreme Court, January 2015), co-signatory.
- The George Washington University’s Milken Institute School of Public Health honored Dr. Sorel as a Pioneer and Leader in Public Health in December 2019. He received the Mental Health Champion Award at the Universal Health and Mental Health for All Conference in Malta, E.U., in December, 2018. Carol Davila Medical University and the Politehnica University of Bucharest, Romania, honored Dr. Sorel with Doctor Honoris Causa in October 2009 and in June 2014, respectively. The President of Romania decorated Dr. Sorel with the Star of Romania Order of Commander in January 2004.